What is my purpose in Life?, why am I here on earth?, why am I living?. This is the Million Dollar question asked by everyone at one stage of their lives. Normally the question will arise in time of Confusion, disappointment or just hunger to fill something void in one’s heart.
I myself have many a time asked myself at certain stages of my life ‘what is the point’?. Many decide at this time to ‘seek’out an answer to fill in the ‘void’ in their lives, the knowledge of not being fulfilled, in essence incomplete in their inner man, becomes a ‘wandering spirit’ at large.
The best fictional book (my favourite!, must read) that describes man’s eagerness and hunger to be fulfilled and the ache he has to find it at any cost is beautifully described by the best-selling author Paulo Coelho in his book called ‘The Alchemist‘. The story talks about a boy who travels around the world looking for his destiny and his meticulous journey to find his dream.
As a Christian and student of the Bible, we are so much privilege to know the answer to this mysterious question of Life and Purpose.
What is Life?
“then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature” (Genesis 2:7)
The Dictionary says: ‘the existence of an individual human being’. Bible says we were created last on the Chain of life, after the Heavens and earth, the birds, the fishes, the animals and lastly Human beings. Delicately made out of dust, molded together and then God ‘poured Himself into the clay, His glory, His essence, His Spirit, all through this one ‘breath of life’! .In essence Life is the ‘Breath of God’.
Psalm 139: further expatiates that our Life belongs to God and He created us with and in His wonder and with His Spirit in us. Hence His breath moves us around, causes our eyes to open each morning and close each night, we talk, we walk, we smile, we cry because of the gift of His breath. Once taken the body becomes lifeless and the breath of life goes back to the ‘giver of life’.
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be. Psalm 139
Hence our life is a loan from God, given to us not willy nilly but for a purpose, for an agenda and for a mission. So life is your A(birth)-Z (death) and in-between is your Purpose.
What is His Purpose for ME?
The Prophet Jeremiah further elaborates in His Book, that God already foreknew you even before you were born, that means your Spirit was alive with Him before He wove you in your mothers belly, it was at this time that he set you apart for His Calling (mission, Purpose, plan) and then Voila you were born to earth!.
‘Before you were born I set YOU APART to be…” Jeremiah 1:5
So we see that no one is a mistake, no one is without a purpose, every living being is here on a mission by God to perform a certain purpose, to make an impact, to be a difference, to bless mother earth and once done the flesh will return back ,earth to earth and the Spirit back to the Owner its Creator Jehovah Elohim. If you look around you will see that every living thing on, above and beneath the earth eg., animals, fishes, trees, fruits, water, Sun, Moon etc. everything created by God has a purpose in the circle of life and meticulously performing what it is created to do. An example is the Sun at day and the Moon only comes out at night.
You are the LIGHT of the WORLD!
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that[a] they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5
Here, Jesus Christ challenges you never to forget who we are, or let the world determine who you should be , but to remember that YOU are the LIGHT that brightens the world full of darkness and evil and that you must do everything possible to see that your light which is God’s Spirit shines bright for the whole world to see. In essence to excel in whatever you are doing, being the best of the best so you can become a force that needs to be reckoned with. Perhaps you are studying, then your aim and goal should to come out top of your class with first class honors, an MBA etc, always striving to be the best in whatever field you find yourself in, tapping into the excellent Spirit of God and asking for His Wisdom and understanding, to be giving the Spirit of revelation, sound mind and boldness to have BIG DREAMS.
Prophet Isaiah says that by doing so ‘Nations shall come to your light’ Isaiah 60.1-3 Today GOD is still crying out loud ‘Who will I send and who will go for me’. Role models, mentors, Leaders and Youth leaders, Pastors, Teachers, Philanthropists, Inventors, Reformers, Ministers, Human right activists, Jesus Advocates etc are needed in today’s world. As a lot of people are in darkness, lost, confused, bounded by fear, suicidal, abuse, pressures, tied down to prostitution, drug pushers and users etc Millions of People are desperately looking for a way out. As a child of Light the onus is on YOU to walk in your calling, in your gift and in your passion. As Christ disciples you have been called to a life of Service, to be a blesser going in and coming out. Just like Jesus who ‘went around doing good’.
I don’t know my Purpose!
...” like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[a] and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents,[b] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability”. Matthew 25:14
The parable of the Talent told by Jesus shares an insight into Gods mind. In this narrative Jesus further expantiates on Prophet Jeremiahs revelation, that everyone on coming to earth are given ‘Unique Gifts’, these are what we call today, passion, burden for, your dream, our aspiration, what you have a burning desire to do in life. Some people are eloquent speakers, orators who can calm a raging storm with their voice, they are natural born speakers. Or perhaps when you see the sick you have a desire to help them more strongly than anyone else. Or you dream of building houses, industries to feed millions etc. These are more likely your gifts and purpose, where in doing it you find joy and fulfillment.
How do I find my Talent?
- Write down what you like doing, what you dream of becoming, what you feel you are good at doing, that’s the start of talent.
- Make it your goal to try something new every week. You might not discover something that you’re super-talented at, but maybe you pick up a guitar one day and find out it feels comfortable in your hands and decide to learn more.
- Try things that are easy. What comes naturally to you? What do you do without thinking? What do you love? Look to your obsessions and your interests for the possibility of talent.
- Pay attention to what other people might have noted about you. It’s common that others might have a keener sense of what you’re good at that you will yourself. Ask your family, your friends, and your teachers to help you figure out what you make look easy.
- Try things that are hard. Does the stage frighten you, or maybe public speaking? Writing a story and finishing it? Grab the mic and put pen to paper. Do what scares you. What would be your bucket list talent? What would you love to be naturally good at, without trying? Face down big challenges and find out what it takes to be good at them.
- James Earl Jones, the voice of Darth Vader and noted Shakespearean actor with a booming, godlike voice, suffered from terrible stuttering as a child. He was terrified of speaking in class and only learned to speak properly by facing his fear.
- Famous Preacher Benny Hinn was a stutterer until He faced his fear and let God take control
- Follow your positive obsessions. What are other people tired of hearing you talk about? What do you have to drag yourself away from? Use the things you’re obsessed with to discover abilities and talents that might be hiding under the surface as long as it blesses others in a positive way.
- Practice. Even if you’ve got no talent for the guitar, practicing two hours a day guarantees that you’ll get a lot better. Someone who practices, whether it be sport, art, or any other field, will always end up more talented than someone who never picks up their instrument, picks up their paintbrush, someone who never practices. Hard work outruns ability every time.
- Read books of people that motivate you or people you want to be like. AWAKEN THE GIANT WITHIN by Antony Robbins is my favourite. Many more follow them on Social Media. Twitter etc. Richard Branson, Sunday Adelaja etc. Read Autobiographies of great people. Nelson Mandela,Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Napoleon Hill etc
- Network, join Charities, meetup groups, take up classes to develop your softer skills. Presentation, Public Speaking, Anger Management, NLP, Spanish, Cooking etc
Commit to building your talent into a skill. When you find your talent, think of it like a seed that you’re planting. You’re off to a good start, but you’ve still got to water it, mulch it, and weed around the edges to make sure your seed grows into a big plant. It takes work.
The Whole World is waiting for YOU!
For the whole World (creation) waits with eager expectation and longing for the revealing of the Children of God. Romans 8:19
God has called YOU to take the Good News to the whole world, starting from where you are. Each one of us has someone to bless, every person that comes your path is an instrument to this marvelous journey of life, some you are called to bless, some are going to be a blessing to you, change you beyond measures, perhaps a spoken word, or a kind deed or even a book you read or perhaps this little blog you are reading. Nothing in life is by accident, nothing is coincidence, everything in life happens for a reason. You must realise that there is no mistake with God and ‘everything works together for good for those who love God.
Its only YOU that can give ‘your world’ the answer of what they are looking for to their questions of how they can be delivered from one thing or another. YOU MUST KNOW that YOU are the ANSWER to someone’s prayer. He is waiting for YOU to take up your space in the puzzle of life, step up to the challenge and say: ‘I AM YOUR HOPE’
God is saying to you ‘My Child fear not, I will never leave you nor forsake you. Greater is He that is in YOU than he that is in the world. Remember one with God is majority. Be Optimistic, be Proactive always look at the brighter side of Life, remember your father created the universe and YOU are His child. A light of God called to silence darkness and bring Hope to a dying world.
Do not be afraid to use what God has placed in you. Do not let anyone intimidate you to think that you are nothing, it’s not about what people say about you that matters, its what God is saying about YOU. Be encouraged today that God is with you. He has Chosen YOU, the destiny of many are in your hands, like a baton in a relay race, it has been handed over to you, to take it further. Be committed, untiring and with a clear sense of purpose.
Dear blessed one, the call of God upon your life is mighty and precious and the devil will fight you every way it knows to distract you, be focused, be careful of your friends, of what you read, hear or see. Avoid Drugs, they are destiny destroyers, avoid evil catalyst that eats the mind and erodes you of all sense of Godliness. The enemy is smarter and well organised, they don’t come with ‘horns’ but as ‘angels’. Remember we wrestle not against flesh but spiritual forces.
May God guide and guard you in all your endeavours. May God bless you and envelope you from His throne from on high with Love, wisdom, power and boldness. The whole world is waiting for YOU, be determined to do your part.
I wait to celebrate you soon. (Pls share your story with me, I will be waiting!)
Your sister in Christ